Wednesday, October 5, 2011

VeganMoFo #4 - The Engine 2 Diet

Texas firefighter Rip Esselstyn is the son of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn who has been studying how to reverse heart disease with a plant-based diet. Rip is the guy on the Forks Over Knives documentary trailer who is claiming "Eat more plant-based foods. It is just that simple." The Engine 2 Diet shows you how to try this way of eating for 28 days with lots of anecdotes on firefighters who have reduced their disease risk. I bought it for the recipes as I'm always looking for more lowfat meal ideas. (There are some recipe notes that mention the possibility of adding fish or chicken for Week One only of the plan but all the recipes are vegan.)



This is the Mexican Lime Soup from the book which is pretty similar to a tortilla soup with the addition of potatoes and mushrooms. DH thought it had too many ingredients so I guess I could have gone a little easy on all the recommended toppings.



I think this book will appeal more to men and those who are fighting heart disease or just want to lose weight. Many of the recipes will appeal to those who want to eat simply without a lot of fuss. For instance, the Chili Dogs and Applesauce  is pita bread stuffed with lowfat vegetarian hot dogs, chili, onion, cilantro, and applesauce. The recipes do not include nutritional analyses and there are no photos of the food. There is a pretty good section on filling breakfast ideas.

I haven't cooked many things from this book other than this soup, the Macaroni and Not Cheese and the Dark Chocolate Brownies. I really want to test out the section on oil-free salad dressings soon.

4 comments:

Rose said...

The soup looks super tasty, and pretty.

I think it's great that this book is geared toward men in particular.

. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I like the breakfast recipes and the fact that the portions are pretty good size. Not a bad cookbook overall!
Can't wait to see what else you review!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That soup really does look good & yeah I think the book is aimed at dudes who might not have much tome to interest in cooking. I was thinking about getting it for my husband!

Related Posts with Thumbnails