Thursday, October 6, 2011

VeganMoFo #5 - ExtraVeganZa


ExtraVeganza: Original Recipes from Phoenix Organic Farm by Laura Matthias is really a beautiful cookbook of the gourmet variety. There are several sections of gorgeous color photos and most of the recipes sound just wonderful to me. For VeganMoFo I made the Almond Rice Balls. Cooked brown rice is miced with tahini, tamari, onion, garlic, dill, and soy milk then the balls are rolled in ground almonds and baked. Unfortunately my mixture didn't come together that well (perhaps my rice was too wet?) so it was quite difficult to roll into balls. The baked rice balls were pretty tasty though.

I think this book is especially good for those who love vegan baking; I really think there are more dessert recipes than savory recipes in this book! I recommend it for people who enjoy elegant gourmet meals. Recipes I've liked from this book are the Spinach Hummus, Sesame Shiitake Noodle Soup, Paul's Thai Noodle Salad (my favorite recipe so far), Pear Cardamom Muffins, Chocolate Chocolate Almond Cookies, Lemon Lavender Blueberry Muffins, Ginger Anise Peach Mufffins, and Creamy Peach Cardamom Pie.




I decided to try to get some of my holiday knitting done while reading all the wonderful blogs participating in VeganMoFo. Currently I'm working on hiking socks for DH. I have fallen in love with this yarn - it is called Wick by Knit One Crochet Too and it is a blend of 53% soy and 47% polypropylene which apparently will wick away moisture from your skin. The best part about it is that it has the same type of springiness which wool yarns have (apparently from the soy content??). Check it out if you are seeking a vegan yarn for knitting or crocheting. I bought mine at Yarnmarket which also has a wide selection of other plant-based and vegan yarns.


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oooh, vegan socks! It's been a while since I've knit a sock. I shall have to check out the yarn.

Andrea said...

What a great name for a vegan cookbook!

I love the look of the yarn you're using, and I envy someone who can knit or crochet while doing something else at the same time!

Susan said...

ExtraVeganZa is one book I don't have, but so many people say good things about it. I might have to get it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails