Friday, October 7, 2011

VeganMoFo #6 - Vive Le Vegan


I made the Gingered Pear Crisp from Dreena Burton's Vive Le Vegan:Simple,  Delectable Recipes for the Everyday Vegan Family and I thought it was excellent. In fact it was so good that I plan to include it in our Thanksgiving dinner and I'm not even that fond of pears! Fresh pears are mixed with maple syrup, dried cranberries, allspice, cardamom and fresh ginger and topped with an oat mixture. This book is more than a cookbook; it also contains a large section on feeding babies and toddlers, some information on hemp foods, ingredient glossary, and cooking guides for grains and beans.



So far I've made the Scalloped Potatoes, Sunflower-Lentil Pie (I like this with ketchup on top), Chipotle Veggie-Bean Burritos, China-Style Veggie Spring Rolls, the Citrus Mint Vinaigrette, the Creamy Avocado-Cashew Sauce (I like this over the burritos), and the Quinoa Spring Salad (probably my favorite recipe in the book). The Blueberry Bounty Buns didn't work for me - the texture was strange and they spread out quite a bit. That was likely operator error because I still am not perfect about measuring baking ingredients plus I'm at a high-altitude. Other than that I have had great success with her baking recipes and especially recommend this book for those with small children or those who love delicious vegan desserts.

3 comments:

omgoshimvegan said...

I'm so glad to hear about the success you've had with this cookbook. It is one of the many on my shelf that I need to try some recipes from. Can't wait to try that crisp. Looks Good!

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) said...

I am loving pears right now! I've been putting them on my oatmeal but this baked dish looks fabulous. I'm looking forward to your Thanksgiving post. :)

Susan said...

I've only made the brownies from here so far (which were awesome). I will have to use it more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails