Monday, October 10, 2011

VeganMoFo #7 - Vegan Italiano

I have hundreds of cookbooks and Donna Klein's Vegan Italiano is in my top three. I've made every pizza from the book several times and her Semolina Pizza Dough is now my basic pizza dough recipe. Another favorite from the book is her Fresh Tomato and Onion Tart with Basil-Garlic Crust. I made an adaptation of the recipe which is available HERE. (Oddly enough I have three of her other books and have never made a single thing from them but maybe I'll have time this month.)





For Day Two of VeganMoFo I made the Sicilian Skillet Pasta Pie - spaghetti is mixed with canned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and sun-dried tomatoes along with garlic, onions, peppers, and kalamatic olives and baked in the skillet. It is a good representation of the recipes in the book because a) it has tomatoes as do most of the recipes in the book and b) it is a relatively simple recipe. Some of the recipes are really simple like spaghetti with garlic and olive oil or spinach with garlic but the main dishes are worth their weight in gold. There are no esoteric ingredients or soy or meat substitutes or dairy substitutes - everything in this book is basic food and most of the recipes are very quick to prepare.



I'd recommend the book just for the pizza recipes alone. One time when I was without an oven I practically subsisted on her Frying Pan Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Olives, and Onions. Other non-pizza recipes I've made and liked include: Italian Fall Fruit Salad, Spinach and Mushroom Calzones, Zucchini Roll-Ups, Polenta Pie with Spinach, Zucchini Lasagna with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, Pasta Alla Verde, and Lentils and Pastina Soup.

11 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

That looks *amazing*! I can't believe I don't have that book yet.

Karena said...

I love Donna Klein! I have yet to try the pictured recipe, but am going to have to now that I've seen it in color!

Bonnie said...

That looks beautiful! I have her Mediterranean cookbook and really like it, so I'm sure I'd love this book too! the pizzas sound delicious.

Nada (One Arab Vegan) said...

Skillet pasta pie? Genius. That book is going on my list for sure!

Mandee said...

This was one of the first vegan cookbooks I was going to buy but then I never did and now I wish I had! Your meal looks delicious.

Andrea said...

We used to use that book a lot but have been neglecting it lately. The pie looks wonderful — much better than the pasta dish we had for supper!

celine said...

you sold me on that one! I really shouldn't buy more books because I ran out of shelves a long time ago, but I can't resist the feeling.

Micah Ludeke said...

That looks gorgeous!

Dawn said...

Wow oh wow that is gorgeous. It's nice to see what books other people are enjoying. This looks like one for the wish list

Amey said...

i have this book, but I've never used it - or maybe only once or twice - where as I've used her Meditteranean Kitchen book lots of times. Thanks for the reminder to check it out! I love your theme! :)

Susan said...

I've got this book but have made almost nothing from it, I really should try more. Especially those pizzas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails