Tuesday, October 11, 2011

VeganMoFo #8 - Vegan with a Vengeance

I know most people would probably list Veganomicon or one of the dessert cookbooks (some of which will be reviewed here later this month) as their favorite work by Isa Chandra Moskowitz but I still love her first book Vegan with a Vengeance best. I make the Best Pumpkin Muffins dozens of times a year and they are DH's favorite muffins. They are so good they turned him from a pumpkin-hater into a pumpkin freak.


I made the Revolutionary Spanish Omelet with Saffron and Roasted Red Pepper- Almond Sauce. (And yes, more pumpkin muffins!) Soft tofu is pureed with garlic, soaked saffron, and olive oil and is poured over potato and onion slices and baked. We both liked it a lot and the leftover red pepper sauce was great over pasta.



I love the humor in this book and all the sidebars on veganism on the Internet, taming your tofu, anarchist-feminist potlucks, and Food Not Bombs. There is a small center section of photos and the book includes sections on Brunch, Little Meals, Sammiches, and Finger Foods, and Pizza and Pastas.

I have MANY favorites from this book other than the Pumpkin Muffins: Scrambled Tofu, Tempeh and White Bean Sausage Patties, Tempeh Sausage Crumbles, Tempeh Bacon, Fronch Toast, Lemon Corn Waffles with Blueberry Sauce, Berry Scones, Cherry-Almond Muffins, Apple Pie Crumb Cake Muffins, Beet, Barley, and Black Soybean Soup w/Pumpernickel Croutons, Potato-Asparagus Soup, Fresh Mango Summer Rolls, Chickpea Broccoli Casserole, Falafel, Veggie Burgers, Mashed Potatoes with Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy, Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy, Brooklyn Pad Thai, and the Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

This is probably the one Isa book I haven't cooked from, and one of these days I'll have to get a copy. When it came out, I had so many cookbooks that I refused to buy another. Of course that rule has gone out the window but I've never gotten VWAV into my collection.

Mandee said...

I only got this after VCon and VCTOTW so I haven't used it as much but every time I see a post on it I realise I've been neglecting it. You omelette looks fantastic!

Micah Ludeke said...

Hi Nanette! The beer-cheese soup is much too thin for a Welsh Rarebit sauce, but I have a vegan Welsh Rarebit recipe right here: http://micahludeke.blogspot.com/2011/07/welsh-rarebit.html
Hope that hits the spot!

Clare said...

I've always meant to try this recipe, I love traditional Spanish Omelet so I don't see why I haven't. Now I've seen yours I definitely have to give it a go!

Amey said...

I totally agree with you - I still really really love VWAV. Also, those pumpkin muffins truly are the best in the world, aren't they??

celyn said...

Yes! I love the stewed tofu/potatoes/miso gravy, and the tempeh crumbles, and the matzoh ball soup.

Related Posts with Thumbnails