Wednesday, October 12, 2011

VeganMoFo #9 - 20 Minutes to Dinner

(Note: I'm not sure this book is technically still in print but it is still available for purchase as a Kindle version and used copies are easy to find.)

I'm pretty sure I have more cookbooks by Bryanna Clark Grogan than any other author. She even has a new international cookbook out that looks great but I'm trying to resist buying it until after I buy a new computer.  20 Minutes to Dinner: Quick, Low-Fat, Low-Calorie Vegetarian Meals focuses on easy meals that the entire family will enjoy.


I made the Chinese Spaghetti which involves steam-frying a pound of vegetables of your choice (I chose cauliflower, red cabbage, carrots, and green beans) along with bell peppers, scallions, and ginger. The veggies get added to a pound of cooked spaghetti (I used whole wheat) and a quick sauce is added at the end to thicken everything up. For the protein she offers several options (I always love books that give me choices in the ingredients) and for that I made her Smoky Tofu recipe. She gives many ideas for substitutes in each recipe and some of the recipes link to other recipes. I think the whole dish took about 30 minutes total for both recipes but it would have been faster if I'd gone with her frozen stir-fry veggie suggestion.


The book was published in 1997 but I think it still shines strong today for those who are seeking no-oil vegan recipes. One of my favorite sections of this cookbook is a long list of hot and cold sandwich and wrap ideas. She also includes many recipes for meat and dairy substitutes like Tofu Cream Cheese and Soy "Fish" Cakes. I probably wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't eat soy but I think it is a great book for any vegan who doesn't use oil or for busy families.

Recipes I've tried and liked from the book include Pan-Fried Breast of Tofu, Melty Pizza Cheese, Cabbage and Noodles, Carrot-Oat Patties, Stir-Fried Peas and Tofu, and Hawaiian Sticky Tofu (probably my favorite recipe in the book).

5 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

That looks so yummy!

I'm on the opposite end of the cookbook spectrum... I only have one of Bryanna's books somehow. (Authentic Chinese Cuisine.) Something I really need to remedy, because I've loved a ton of the recipes she's posted online.

Dawn said...

Beautiful, quick-cooking meals are the best! That bowl looks delicious.

And I haven't heard of this book of Bryanna's and sadly (embarrassingly?) don't own one of her many books. You're reminding me to add it to my wish list, so thanks for that.

Mandee said...

I like that this book must be filled quick and easy recipes for when you don't have hours to cook!

veganefreude said...

Mmmh! Good idea for when you need food on the table fast!

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

Thanks so much, Nanette! I'm so glad you use the book-- I still use it alot when I'm in a rush!

Related Posts with Thumbnails