Sunday, January 29, 2012

Nondairy Cheese Experiments

I love testing out homemade nut cheese recipes. Here are two more I tried from a library book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking by Julieanna Hever and Beverly Lynn Bennett.


The top slices are a cheddar made from cashews and a fresh red bell pepper. I thickened the mixture with agar powder (a type of seaweed) to make a firm, sliceable cheese.  I used it for sandwiches and quesadillas. The bottom is the mellow jack cheese which I didn't bother thickening because I planned to use it for pizza. This one was more labor intensive because you had to make almond milk first and use some of the almond pulp (and tofu) for the cheese.

I'm really enjoying using a simple tofu feta for topping pizza. I crumble up soft tofu and mix it with lemon juice, a tiny bit of nutritional yeast, some dried oregano, some white miso, and garlic. Here it is on a Greek-style pizza with tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, and fresh oregano on a whole wheat crust.


I'm still working my way through Joanne Stepaniak's The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. I have many favorites from that book including the Rich Tofu Cream Cheez with almond butter, Spicy Herb and Tomato Cheez spread (thanks to the commenter who mentioned this recipe - it is great for quesadillas!), the Pickle, Tahini, and Tomato Sandwiches, the Florentine Ricotta Pie, and her Baked Macaroni and Cheez seen below.



A few other of my favorite nondairy cheeses include Ann Gentry's Cashew Cheddar Cheese, her Tofu Chevre from Vegan Family Meals, and Nava Atlas' Smoky Cheddar Cheese Spread.

Any other great nondairy cheese recipes out there? I'd love recommendations of more to try!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails